Abbreviations are commonly found in the field of scripophily. These can be abbreviations used in the title name, type, decoration, state or type of cancellation.
Common abbreviations in the title name are :
The common abbreviations in the description of the type of title are given below. In general, they consist of 2 letters in the first and second columns below. The third column gives some examples of combinations. Gradually, these abbreviations will disappear and be replaced by the type of action as written on the mantle of the title.
For decoration, the following abbreviations are used :
- DDD : very very decorated
- DD : very decoradet
- D : decoradet
- PH : PHoto : presence of one or more printed photos
- UP : UnderPrint : presence of an image in the background
- VV : a lot of vignettes
- V : one vignette
- ED : Decorated Framing
A title with the decoration V - one vignette
The types of cancellation generally encountered are as follows :
- h.c.: hole cancelled : canceled by perforation
- s.c. : stamp cancelled : canceled by stamp
- st.c. : striped cancelled : canceled on roulette
- p.c. : pen cancelled : annulé at the bic
Splendid action of the Tramways of Bologna, canceled with roulette:
4 vertical and diagonal blue bands with repeated 'CANCEL' text.